WELCOME TO THE MOST EFFICIENT AND TRUSTED EXAMINATION PROCESS
AVAILABLE FOR AMATEUR RADIO LICENSING!
- Stephen (WM7X) and his Volunteer Examiner (VE) TEAM partner with the Spout Springs Repeater Association to administer completely online video-supervised testing in a friendly positive environment. In-person testing is also available on touch screen tablets. This option is available for persons not comfortable with the online environment. Our process employs rules for maintaining integrity of the testing environment. Following these instructions closely will ensure that your test will be efficient and successful.
- Hamstudy.org will give you a current list of sessions. Look for a testing session with seating still available.
- Need a special test session? Reach out to us to arrange a date and time that fits your busy schedule.
- Plan on about 25 Minutes for your exam session. In fact, well prepared applicants can be in and out in 12-15 minutes while some sessions take longer if technology issues arise.
- If applicant is under the age of 13, additional documentation is required. Please download and complete this COPPA form, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please COPY the same email to Stephen@Hutchings.net. This is for compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
- To request special exam session dates or specific accommodations for your exam, please email Stephen@Hutchings.net
Prepare the following before your online exam session:
❏ Exam Fee Payment: Use the payment links below to submit your $14 exam fee. **Payment must be received WITH your registration.
Approximately 30-60 minutes before your exam, you will receive an email with Zoom meeting information to join your exam session.
A “NO-SHOW” for your exam results in forfeiture of your exam fee.
❏ PHOTO ID: Your photo ID must be shown on camera to your VE Team. For online sessions, we accept a driver’s license, passport, Student ID or other government issued ID.
Under-18 students may show either of the above items, or display a school ID or report card and a legal guardian presents a photo ID.
❏ Federal Registration Number (FRN): This must be submitted on the exam application. Current license holder have an FRN, New applicants were assigned an FRN when you registered for this examination at Hamstudy.org/sessions/WM7X.
❏ Exam Application: A NCVEC 605 application is generated when registering for an exam,. Once exam is successful, you will view and sign this document electronically.
❏ Your name on the exam registration must match the name on your FCC license or FRN if applying for a new license. Name changes requires your separate documentation to be submitted to the FCC.
❏ Prepare your computer and cell phone camera: Your Test Team will ensure the integrity of the testing system. Be sure your computer and phone can handle the following.
- Android devices such as Chromebooks are allowed, with the following provision. A second device such as a tablet or cellphone with Zoom application/video that you can also connect to the meeting.
- You must have a computer with a webcam, microphone, and speakers. Occasionally, an additional device may be needed if technology issues prevent your computer from being used. available. MacOS requires that you unlock a security and privacy setting allowing Zoom to record before your screen can be shared.
- Your computer and phone must be connected with reliable service. Interrupted internet can void your exam session.
- To expedite your session, you’re asked to download and test-run Zoom on computer and phone well in advance of your test session. You will receive your Zoom meeting invitation by email just prior to your exam. Watch for your email invitation minutes before your test!
- Headsets / Earbuds / Headphones/ Smart Watches / Smart Eyewear / Physical Calculators are not allowed. OPTIONALLY, an on-screen calculator can by utilized to perform calculations.
- Terminate/Close non-essential applications. These include but are not limited to: Mail, Chat, Alerts, Bluetooth Devices, Virtual Screens, TeamViewer, Steam, Remote Desktops, Discord, or Messaging. Only your web browser, Zoom and calculator may be active. Your VE team may ask to view the “Show Hidden Icons” caret on your taskbar to see other running applications in your System Tray.
- Verify your computer and phone are plugged in or fully charged.
- No Virtual Backgrounds may be applied on your Zoom video feed.
- You are allowed only one screen or monitor on the computer. Remove/Cover/Unplug any additional monitors within your view, or take a single laptop into a different room. Interestingly, the bathroom is a preferred location for many applicants.
- You will be asked to sign exam documents electronically following your exam.
- The exam session may be terminated for non-compliance with instructions.
❏ Prepare your exam room: The VE Team must protect the integrity of the test environment. Be sure you can take the exam uninterrupted.
- No additional people in the exam room.
- Clear your room of all non-exam materials, notes, books, posters, additional computer screens, or items that might aid in testing.
- Clear your exam table and floor of ALL items within reach or view that would raise suspicion, such as papers, sticky notes, electronic items, headphones, or other items unnecessary for your exam. Please remove any wearable technology, such as Google glasses, Smart Watches, etc.
- Politely inform other family members to not enter the room during your exam.
- Have a fully charged cell phone ready to link to the same Zoom meeting. This device might be used to scan your test environment at the request of your VE team. Following the 360 degree view, you might be asked to place the device nearby to observe the exam.
❏ Practice for your exam: It is your responsibility to be fully prepared, as the time of three or more volunteers have been reserved for you. Use Hamstudy to study and take practice exams. Kindly make sure you are consistently scoring well above the passing grade before you schedule an exam. Some recommended sites:
–– HamStudy.org, is a free site with lots of tips. It has an inexpensive companion phone app you can use on the go.
❏ Test Sessions: If an exam element is failed and you wish to re-test, another $14 test fee will be asked of you. Typically you will re-enter our queue in the Waiting Room and will retest once others have completed their exams. (TIP: Practice your material while waiting for your next attempt!)
❏ Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam (CSCE): When testing is complete, the exam elements you passed are indicated on a CSCE document that your VE team will email you immediately. Consider this your Diploma or Receipt for your exam. Retain this document for your records.
❏ Protocol for Online Exams:
- Test must be completed without any interruptions that would raise suspicion about the integrity of the your testing environment.
- You consent that your exam session will be recorded and stored for a period of time. Currently 15 months.
- You agree to keep attention on your computer screen at all times. Eyes may not wander to other parts of the room. You may not leave the view of your webcam during the exam session.
- You agree to use a single-screen computer or laptop. No other screens may to be attached or near your computer.
- You may not have visitors in the room. Applicants under the age of 13 may have a Parent/Legal Guardian present.
- If requested, you will use your cell phone camera connected to Zoom to scan the entire room and exam area to show that there are no materials or people that could aid in taking the exam.
- If requested you will place your cell phone so that it views a larger area around your test environment.
- You may load a calculator application on your device. Handheld calculators are not permissible.
- You may have a single blank scrap paper and pen. If paper is used, please display front and back to your test team at conclusion of exam.
- You must agree to share your entire screen with the VE team, not just the browser.
- If your VE team suspects a possibility of cheating, your exam will be terminated, your exam fee forfeited and your privileges of online testing will end system-wide.
Your VE Team will follow this process:
- Display your photo ID to the camera so all examiners can verify your identity.
- Using your camera, slowly scan your room at eye level, including desktop surface.
- If requested, please leave your phone on and propped up at a distance so that it can view you and your computer.
- Please share your full desktop via Zoom, not just a browser window. Ensure no “Virtual Backgrounds” are applied to your video.
- Open a browser window and if needed, position a calculator app next to it, demonstrating the calculator memory is clear.
- Only ONE tab may be open in your preferred web browser.
- Please join the test session with the call sign WM7X and your 4 digit PIN. Your VE team will provide this to you.
- Answer questions by clicking on A/B/C/D via your keyboard, mouse or trackpad, and scroll to your next question. During your exam, you may review/skip/change your answers.
- When you finish, submit your exam for grading by pressing “Grade Exam”.
- Your exam is then promptly graded and your results displayed on your screen by your VE team. No provisions are available to discuss questions answered incorrectly.
- On passing grades, you will review two documents, the NCVEC 605 and CSCE. Your mouse or touchpad is used to sign documents.
- You are now welcome to finish your exam session and log out, and close your browser. You will stop sharing your screen at this time as well.
- Your VE Team will sign your NCVEC 605 and CSCE to submit to W5YI. Exam documents are sent to the FCC on your behalf.
- Your CSCE will be immediately emailed to you. Retain this document for your records.
- Your VE team will explain how to use your new privileges and encourage you to join a local radio club for further learning opportunities.
- Your examination is now complete. Congratulations and thank you for testing with the Spout Springs Repeater Association! Remember to come back and test again for your next upgrade. We look forward to hearing your call sign on the air soon!