WELCOME TO THE MOST EFFICIENT AND TRUSTED EXAMINATION PROCESS
AVAILABLE FOR AMATEUR RADIO LICENSING!
- Stephen (WM7X) and the Spout Springs Repeater Association Volunteer Examiner (VE) TEAM, administer completely online video-supervised testing in a friendly positive environment. In person testing is also available on touch screen tablets. This option is available for persons not comfortable with the online environment. Our process employs strict rules and protocols for maintaining integrity of the testing environment. Following these instructions closely will ensure that your test will be efficient and successful.
- Hamstudy.org will give you a current list of sessions. Look for a testing session with seating still available.
- Plan on a minimum of 30 Minutes for your exam session. Some sessions take longer if technology issues arise.
- If exam candidate is under the age of 13, additional documentation is required. Please download and complete this COPPA form, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please COPY the same email to Stephen@Hutchings.net. This is for compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
- To request special exam session dates or specific accommodations for your exam, please email Stephen@Hutchings.net
Prepare the following before your online exam session:
❏ Exam Fee Payment: Use the PayPal link below and promptly pay your $14 exam fee. **Payment must be received WITH your registration. In the PayPal notes field, please enter your name exactly as you did when registering for your exam. You can use your PayPal account or a credit/debit card without a PayPal account.
You will receive an email with Zoom meeting information and embedded link approximately 15-30 minutes before your exam.
A “NO-SHOW” for your exam will result in forfeiture of your exam fee.
❏ PHOTO ID: Your photo ID must be shown on camera to your Online VE Team. For online sessions the VE Team will accept a driver’s license, passport, Student ID or any government issued ID.
Under-18 students may show either of the above items, or display a school ID or report card and a legal guardian presents a photo ID.
❏ Federal Registration Number (FRN): This must be submitted on the exam application. Current license holder have an FRN, New applicants were assigned an FRN when you registered for this examination at Hamstudy.org/sessions/WM7X.
❏ Exam Application: When registering for the exam a NCVEC 605 application is generated. Once your exam is successful, you will view and sign this document. Your registration for this exam generates a 4-digit PIN code which will identifies you at this test session.
❏ License Upgrading: If you plan to take the General or Amateur Extra exam, you must have an copy of your current amateur radio license or any Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. REMINDER: A CSCE must be dated within the last year. Please email a copy of your previous CSCE to Stephen@Hutchings.net (upgrades only)
❏ Your name on the registration must exactly match the name on your FCC license. Name changes requires your separate documentation to be submitted to the FCC.
❏ Prepare your computer and cell phone camera: Your VE Team will ensure the integrity of the testing system. Be sure your computer and phone can handle these parameters.
- Android devices such as Chromebooks are allowed, with the following provision. A second device such as a tablet or cellphone with zoom application/video that you can also connect to the meeting.
- You must have a working computer with a webcam, microphone, speaker (NO HEADSETS/EARBUDS/HEADPHONES) and cell phone camera with audio muted. MacOS requires that you unlock Zoom, and “allow Zoom to record” before the screen can be shared.
- Your computer and phone must be connected with reliable service. Interrupted internet service will void your exam session.
- To expedite your session, you’re asked to download and test-run Zoom on computer and phone well in advance of your test session. You will receive your Zoom meeting invitation by email just prior to your exam. Watch for your email invitation minutes before your test!
- Disable prior to your exam any applications relating to chatting, alerts, Bluetooth devices, virtual screens, TeamViewer, Remote Desktops, VPNs or pop-up apps. Only a web browser, Zoom and calculator may be active. Your VE team may ask to view other running applications in your computer’s System Tray.
- Verify your computer and phone are plugged in or fully charged.
- No “Virtual Backgrounds” are allowed on your Zoom video feed.
- You are allowed only one screen or monitor on the computer. Remove/Cover/Unplug any additional monitors or take a single laptop into a different room. Your VE team may end your exam immediately for non-compliance.
- You will be asked to sign exam documents electronically following your exam.
❏ Prepare your exam room: The VE Team must ensure the integrity of the test environment. Be sure you can take the exam uninterrupted.
- No additional people or pets in the exam room, other than a registered service dog.
- Clear your room of all non-exam materials, notes, books, posters, computer screens, or items that might aid in testing.
- Clear your exam table and floor of ALL items within reach or view that would raise suspicion, such as papers, sticky notes, electronic items, headphones, waste baskets, and anything unnecessary for the exam. Please remove any wearable technology, Google glasses, Smart Watches, etc.
- Clear your room of distracting items that might take your attention off of the exam.
- Advise other family members not to enter the room during the exam.
- Have a fully charged cell phone ready to link to the same Zoom meeting. This device will be used to scan your test environment at the request of your VE team. Following the 360 degree view, place device nearby to observe you during the exam.
- Ensure phone audio is off and computer speaker audio is on.
❏ Practice for your exam: It is your responsibility to be fully prepared, as the time of three or more volunteers have been reserved for you. Use an online practice site to practice all topics and to take randomly selected practice exams. Make sure you are consistently scoring well above the passing grade before you schedule an exam. Some recommended sites:
–– HamStudy.org, a free site with lots of tips. It has an inexpensive companion phone app you can use on the go.
–– ARRL Exam Review for Ham Radio™, a free site from the national group that you may want to join and use for referencing a wealth of information.
Know the Rules for ONLINE Exams:
❏ Test Sessions: In the event an exam element is failed and you wish to re-test immediately, another $14 test fee will be asked of you. Typically you will reenter our queue in the Waiting Room and will retest once others have completed their exams.
❏ Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam (CSCE): When exam element is passed, your VE team will email you your CSCE. Retain this document for your records.
❏ Protocol for Online Exams:
- Test must be completed without any interruptions that would raise suspicion about the integrity of the testing environment.
- You are asked to complete the exam within your assigned time block, which is more than enough time for most candidates.
- You agree to keep attention on your computer screen at all times. Eyes may not wander to other parts of the room. You may not leave the view of your webcam during the exam session.
- You agree to use a single-screen computer or laptop. No other screens may to be attached or near your computer.
- You may not have visitors in the room. Family and pets must be kept out for the duration of the exam.
- If requested you will use your cell phone camera connected to Zoom to scan the entire room and exam area to show that there are no materials or people that could aid in taking the exam.
- If requested you will place your cell phone so that it views a larger area around your test environment.
- You may load a calculator application on your device.
- You may use blank scrap paper, and a writing utensil. If scrap paper is used, please display it to your test team at conclusion of exam.
- You must agree to share your entire screen with the VE team, not just the browser.
- You must consent that the exam session will be recorded and stored for a period of time. Currently 15 months.
- You must agree that if your VE team suspects a possibility of cheating, your exam will be terminated, your exam fee forfeited and restrictions from your participating in future online exams.
At this point the VE Team will follow this procedure:
- Display photo ID, in the camera so all examiners can verify your identity.
- Please use your camera for 360 degree room scan, including ceiling, floor, under table and chair, closeup of the computer, keyboard.
- If requested, please leave your phone on and propped up at a distance so that it can view you and the computer.
- Please share via Zoom your full desktop, not just a browser window. Ensure “Virtual Backgrounds” are disabled.
- Open a browser window and if needed, position a calculator app next to it, demonstrating the calculator memory is clear.
- Only ONE tab may be open in your preferred web browser.
- Please join the test session with the call sign WM7X and your Unique 4 digit PIN. Your VE team can also provide this to you.
- Answer questions by clicking on A/B/C/D and scrolling to next question. During your exam, you may review/skip/change your answers.
- When you finish, submit your exam for grading by pressing “Grade Exam”.
- Your exam is graded and your results displayed immediately. No provisions are available to discuss questions answered incorrectly.
- On passing grades, you will now review 2 documents, the NCVEC 605, CSCE. Your mouse or touchpad/ is used to sign documents.
- You are now free to “Log Out”, close your browser and click on the red “Stop Sharing” button in Zoom.
- Your VE Team will sign your NCVEC 605 and CSCE to submit to W5YI. Exam documents are sent to the FCC on your behalf
- Your CSCE will be immediately emailed to you. Retain this document for your records.
- Your VE team will explain how to use your new privileges, encouraging you to join a local radio club for further learning opportunities.
- Your examination is now complete. Congratulations and thank you for testing with the Spout Springs Repeater Association! Remember to come back and test again for your next upgrade. We look forward to hearing you on the air soon!